Are you worried about your breast feed and not satisfied with producing breast milk? In most cases, this dissatisfaction goes wrong because of shorter nursing times or natural appetite growth. But, if your baby is not gaining weight or worse if he is losing weight, then breast feeding tips for producing more milk can help. If you are looking for the ways to increase breast milk, you are actually at the right place.
Causes of low milk supply
- Returning to work
- Not eating enough and not drinking enough fluids
5 ways to increase breast milk
1- Focus on diet
One of the best ways to increase breast milk is that you should focus on your diet first. When you are lactating, you should consume a minimum of 1,800 calories a day and drink at least 6 glasses of fluids. This has a big impact on the quality and quantity of the milk production depending on what you eat. Following are some general guidelines for you to remember about diet and breast milk:
- Your diet has a big impact on breast milk production so find some excellent sources of calcium. These will help your baby’s little bones grow healthy and strong. Calcium-rich foods include dairy products, leafy green vegetables, and certain white meat.
- To increase breast milk supply, you should eat fruits and vegetables. These should be a greater part of your diet, as they are packed with vitamins, fiber and minerals.
- Carbohydrates also produce greater breast milk. You should consume complex carbs, as they are healthier than processed carbs, which you may by and large avoid. Brown rice, whole-grain pasta and bread as well as beans are included in complex carbs.
- Lean meat is also one of the great options than fatty cuts. Consume skinless chicken breast, fish, low-fat dairy products, and soy products like tofu.
2- Supplement feedings with pumping
Other way to increase breast milk is supplement feedings with pumping. This can be beneficial in two ways;
- Pumping allows you to store breast milk when your baby doesn’t need.
- It stimulates you to produce greater breast milk.
Pumping is not exactly the spice of life, so invest in a high-quality pump. You can also rent a hospital-grade pump if you don’t own a high-quality, double pump.
After every hour pump for 15 minutes, whether you are at work or at home. Another option is to pump for 5 to 10 minutes after nursing. 8 times pumping during a 24-hour period will help to quickly increase breast milk production. Try to pump halfway in between feedings. If you can’t pump immediately after nursing, remember pumping both breasts at the same time because it will give you twice as much breast milk.
3- Rest and Relax
Stress load can also be the reason to reduce milk production. To Increase breast milk supply, you should try to relax before pumping or breastfeeding.
Listening music, looking love ones pictures or just having a moment with the love of your life could be the reason for you to give rest and relax. You can try massage on your breast or you can use the warm compress for relaxing before you intend to pump or breastfeed.
4- Eat oatmeal
A bowl of oatmeal during the day as snack or in the morning at breakfast could be the best options for breast milk production after 30. Oatmeal is easily available at most health stores in different flavors . Oat is the good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber. It has many nutrients which include vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron and magnesium. Oats are also the good source of protein. Add this meal for better milk production in your diet.
5- Take away the pacifier
When you are trying ways to increase breast milk, limit the use of pacifers and bottles. This is because when baby suck the bottle, the need of the baby are met quick than the breastfeed. As the baby gets older, it will be easier for him to go back and forth from breast to pacifier without you losing important breast stimulation. Try to use syringe or spoon as a supplement rather than bottle.
In the end, i would share one more important tip of herbal remedies, such as fenugreek, to increase breast feed. Many woman rely on these remedies while it can be a short-term breast milk booster. You should always consult with your doctor before taking any herbal remedies. Feel free to comment below!
Also read; Complications with getting pregnant after 35